Karen estates is the former home of Lady Karen Von Blixen. The house has been preserved by the National Museums of Kenya to the time of Lady Karen’s residence. The surrounding area, now called Karen Estates, was the site of her coffee plantation. Tour her lovely home and garden which opens up to a beautiful view of the Ngong Hills.
Time: 2 hrs
Depart from the hotel and drive towards the former home of the famous Karen Blixen; author of “Out of Africa” and one of the most famous colonialists in east Africa.
The house built in 1910 has a red tile roof and mellow wood paneling in the rooms. When Karen Blixen bought the property, it had 6,000 acres of land but only 600 acres were developed for growing coffee; the rest was retained under natural forest.
Much of the original furniture is on display in the house. The original kitchen has been restored, and is now open for viewing. A Dove Stove similar to the one used by Karen Blixen is on display, as are the kitchen utensils. Reconstruction of the coffee factory, along with other old farm machinery is underway.
The aim here is to take an individual back in time, and provide a visual impression of each settler life in Kenya. Karen Blixen Museum has become a herb of various activities including private parties, research and visitation, from all over the world. The income so generated is used to refurbish and maintain Karen Blixen Museum and other regional museums.
Depart from the Museum and back to the hotel.
• Transport on custom made 8 seater Tour Van for game viewing and photography
• Full board accommodation whilst on safari(Where Applicable)
• All park entrance fees to include government taxes
• Service of an English speaking professional driver/guide
• All game drives as detailed in the itinerary
• Complimentary return airport transfers
• Bottled water whilst on safari
• Start and end in Nairobi.
• Personalized service
• International flights
• Items of a personal nature
• Any other extras not detailed in
• Hotel accommodations in Nairobi before and after the safari